Here I've grouped some useful, useless, or simply fun utilities, mostly relating to text analysis or generation. Hope you find something of interest!
- Classic Doctor Who title generator
- For all those Invasion of, Terrors of, Days of, Evils of, and so on.
- Lovecraftian title generator
- For all those tales Lovecraft never wrote...
- Literary novel title generator
- Can’t come up with a prize-winning title for your literary novel? Use our random generator!
- Chapter-by-chapter word counts
- Get a separate word count for each chapter in a piece of long text. (Requires chapters to be identifiable by a consistent pattern.)
- Common words counter
- What percentage of your story/novel is made up of the 1000 most common words in English?
- Gutenberg text reformatter
- A tool for removing hard text-wrap formatting from a text file, as used in Project Gutenberg texts.
- The Pronoun Test
- For fun, a test based on Ben Blatt’s quick and easy test to tell whether a book was written by a man or a woman.
- What colour is your story?
- Gives you a summary and count of all the colour words in a piece of text.
- What percentage of your novel/story is dialogue?
- Tool to work out what percentage of a piece of text is made up of dialogue. (Requires dialogue to be enclosed in either double or single quotation marks.)
- Words used only once
- As a companion to the common words counter tool, what words appear in a piece of text only once?
- HTML curly quotes converter
- Converts straight single and double quotes to the html entity codes of their smart versions, while leaving quotes within html tags alone.